Thursday, March 19, 2009

Changing gears here

Getting away from the funny for a bit, I don't want to jinx it, but I feel compelled to document Delaney's unusual fascination with all things related to medicine. As I noted in previous posts, she absolutely has to watch anything to do with doctors or hospitals, even if it's just a commercial. She wanted to watch a doctor show tonight and the only thing that was on was Scrubs, so we watched for a bit. She probably asked me a dozen questions in as many minutes. When it was over, I picked a mild episode of Medical Mysteries on OnDemand, about a boy whose kidneys could not break down cystiene. She asked me all kinds of questions about his symptoms, and when it was over she wanted to look at pictures of kidneys in my Anatomy & Physiology book. We spent a good 10 minutes looking at it.





Earlier in the day she spent another 10 minutes looking at the bone chapter again. When I tried to turn the page to show her something else, she got irritated and said "turn it back to where I was!"





She had an ear infection about a month ago and she naturally wanted to know why, "why" being her favorite word. I figured since she had shown so much interest already, I'd tell her something close to the truth. I told her she had "bugs" in her ears that were making her sick, and when she asked what they looked like, I showed her a picture of a streptococcus organism. She hasn't stopped asking about those bugs, so I'm thinking she might enjoy one of these:








Yes, it's a Streptococcus pyogenes plush toy.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Awesome. I love it!

Cary McNeal said...

sounds like you have a budding doc on your hands. Good - she can set you up in a plush nursing home when you're old.